Monday, August 13, 2007

Biblical Defense of Queen Mary?

There is a post at Steve Ray's blog that lays out an interesting Biblical position for Marian intercession... It rests on several other Catholic/Orthodox notions, but it is definitely worth a read. As memory serves me, this is very similar to the argument presented by Scott Hahn in his book Hail, Holy Queen.

While I enjoy hearing the argument made, I don't think any "Bible only" Christians are going to be so compelled by this logic as to start praying to Mary. Steve lays out eight steps in his logic. That may be seven too many. I've found that a not-insignificant number of people in my Reformed Protestant circle wrestle with infant baptism because it requires about two logical steps from any explicit Biblical mandate.

Ecumenicity is hard when we play from a different playbook.

4 comments:

JP said...

We should hold Mary to the utmost respect as the Mother of our Savior. However, Sacred Scripture and church history has taught us that there is only one mediator between us sinners and God the Father and that is Jesus Christ.

As one born and raised in the RCC and a one time revert, I am more then happy in discussing mattes of faith especially concerning RCC theology. Of course, if one were drawn to the Roman Church, I completely understand and would never try to talk them out of it. There are many doctrines the RCC hold that I as well adhere too that the modern day evangelical church has wrongly pushed to the wayside.

Blessings to you on your journey of faith.

Anonymous said...

JP, you're setting up a false dichotomy with the 'one mediator' statement. Catholics also believe in one mediator between God and man just as it is written in the Scriptures.

Mary does not act as a Mediator between God and man. She acts as an intercessor the exact same as I would act on your behalf if you asked me to pray for you.

You say you were raised Catholic, but how can you attend mass and not see the sole mediation of Christ? The entire mass is 100% centered around Christ and His unique mediation for us at calvary. In fact we are representing the sacrifice which was the ultimate act of mediation which Christ alone was able to do. This is the center of Catholicism. To say or imply that Catholicism has any center but the pinnacle of all Christian history - the Crucifixion of our Lord is to expose a genuinely misconceived understanding of the faith of our fathers.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - the proof is in the pudding. Anyone who has attended mass as an adult for any length of time will know the truth of what I say without hesitation.

I know all of this first hand and in the most intimate way, I've never met anyone who struggled with Mariology more than I have. It's a difficult doctrine.

Tom B. said...

JP, thanks. You adhere to some (many) RCC doctrines, but not all. Sounds close to the riddle I face - do I pick and choose which doctrines to believe, or which moral precepts to abide by? Am I the one to decide if divorce is permissible, or abortion? Individualism gives me angst. Love to hear your thoughts on this - I've considered Lutheranism too.

JP said...

Thos,

Sorry that I missed your response here. I will be sure to tackle your questions. Playing stay at home dad is not affording me the time right this minute. Look for Saturday.